Yoga Treats: A series of short "treats" for your body and mind. The power of yoga without all the time. I will walk you through one short "treat" in each post so check back frequently and let me know how you like each one and how it works for you. These can be performed by men, women, and kids!
These are great stretches for sitting at the office, in the airport, on a plane or even standing in line at the grocery store. People may look at you, but what are really thinking? Boy, I should be doing that!! A flexible spine and a strong core are essential for a strong and safe body. You may close your eyes while performing these stretches . . . but you may want to see all the people idolizing you!
Treat Two: Upward Seated/Standing Stretch. Stand/sit up straight pushing down through your feet/sit bones, reaching the crown of your head up high, your shoulders back and down, core engaged (that means to tighten/engage those tummy muscles).
- Extend your right arm high over your head, fingertips reaching for the sky.
- Gently grasp your right wrist with your left hand.
- As you inhale, reach your fingertips up.
- As you exhale, gently pull with your left hand. Inhale reach up.
- Exhale gently pull.
- On each inhale you are stretching your spine up.
- With each exhale you are gently stretching your spine to the left.
- After 5 inhales and exhales, gently and with purpose, come back to center.
- Slowly lower both arms.
Repeat on the left side.
- Reach your left arm and fingertips up to the sky, grasp your left wrist with your right hand.
- Inhale reaching.
- Exhale stretch and gently pull to the right side.
- Repeat 5 times and gently come back to center.
- Slowly lower both arms to your side.
- Take 5 deep inhales and exhales.
A simple treat for your body today . . . and no one knows how to treat your body like you know how to treat your body today. Namaste.
The CEO Corner is a Relan blog series by our very own Della Simpson on living a green, happy, and healthy lifestyle from the inside out. Della is certified by YogaFit as a Yoga Instructor. Learn more about Della here.